- 3 T olive oil
- 1 t cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 t ground coriander
- 1/4 t kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- pinch of chili powder
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1-2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- juice of 1/2 lemon, more to taste (optional)
- 3 T chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in large pot. Saute cumin seeds for 3 minutes. Add onion, saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, saute 1 minute.
Stir in tomato paste, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, and chile powder, saute 2 minutes more.
Add broth, water, lentils and carrot. Bring to a boil, then partially cover pot and turn heat to medium-low. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Add salt to taste.
Using an immersion blender or regular blender (after cooling), puree half the soup then add it back to the pot.
Stir in lemon juice.