- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped medium
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- table salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 pounds blade steak, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, pureed with their juice in blender
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- ground black pepper
Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking.Â Add onions, carrots, tomato paste and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes.Â Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits. (This can be done ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container overnight).
Transfer vegetable mixture into slow cooker insert and stir in meat, pureed tomatoes, broths, soy sauce, barley and thyme until evenly combined.Â Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 9-11 hours (or on high for 5-7 hours).
Gently tilt slow cooker insert and remove as much fat as possible from surface of soup using a large flat spoon.Â Stir in parsley, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.