* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 medium onion, diced
* 1/2 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 can slightly pureed tomatoes including juices
* 1/2 cup salsa
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon oregano
* 2 cans black beans, drained
* 2-3 cups boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
* 8 flour tortillas
* 4 cups monterey jack, shredded
Preheat oven to 350Â°.
Boil chicken for 10-15 minutes to cook. Remove chicken from pot. Shred chicken into bite size pieces.
In large non-stick saute pan, saute onions, bell peppers and garlic on medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, salsa, salt, pepper, cumin and oregano and mix well. Stir in beans and chicken.
In a lightly oiled casserole dish, spread 1/3 of the bean mixture. Top with 4 tortillas and 1 cup of cheese. Add another 1/3 of the bean mixture and 1 cup cheese. Top with 4 tortillas and 1 cup cheese. Add remaining bean mixture. Cover and bake until bubbly, about 40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese and cook 10 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
What’s For Dinner, by Maryana Vollstedt