Another tasty creation from Thad’s Recipe Collection
* 1 medium shallot, sliced thin
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 3 pints (2 pounds) cherry tomatoes, each tomato halved pole to pole
* Table salt
* 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
* 1 tablespoon sherry, or red wine vinegar
* 3 large garlic cloves, sliced thin
* 1 pound farfalle (bowtie pasta)
* 1 large bunch arugula, leaves torn into bite-sized pieces (about 4 cups loosely packed)
* 4 ounced goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 350.
In small bowl, toss shallots with 1 teaspoon oil; set aside. In medium bowl, gently toss tomatoes with remaining oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper flakes, black pepper, sugar, vinegar, and garlic. Spread in even layer on rimmed baking sheet (about 17 by 12 inches), scatter shallots over tomatoes; roast until edges of shallots begin to brown and tomato skins are slighly shriveled (tomatoes should retain their shape), 35 to 40 minutes. (Do not stir tomatoes during roasting.) Remove tomatoes from oven and cool 5 to 10 minutes.
While tomatoes cook, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large stockpot. Just before removing tomatoes from oven, stir 1 tablespoon salt and pasta into boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain pasta and return to pot; add arugula and toss until wilted. Using rubbeer spatula, scrape tomato mixture into pot on top of pasta and toss to combine. Serve immediately, sprinkling cheese over individual bowls.